The Effects of CBD on Sleep Quality
Sleep is an important and often neglected part of our day. It gives your body an opportunity to recover from your daily activities, and get ready for whatever tomorrow brings. Overlooking the importance of getting a good night’s sleep can leave you open to a host of health problems such as:
- Weight gain
- A decline in memory function
- Increased physical signs of aging
- General feelings of lethargy and confusion
What Happens When You Sleep?
Sleep gives your body a chance to rest and recharge. Your body performs crucial maintenance tasks during the sleep cycle. These include functions like breaking down food into usable components and rebuilding. In general, people need a minimum of 7 hours of sleep every day to perform these tasks. Very active people, or athletes with rigorous training schedules, may need more sleep to fully fuel their higher activity levels.
Research indicates that a full 35% of Americans do not regularly get at least 7 hours of sleep1. This has been shown to increase health risks, decrease decision making abilities, and create unsafe driving behaviors. By not allowing their bodies a chance to recharge, these people risk their own health, and yours, because they do not appreciate the importance of getting enough high-quality sleep.
Quality is as Important as Quantity
Your body goes through 4 progressive stages of sleep, called the sleep cycles. Each one encourages different metabolic processes that help you wake up feeling rested and refreshed.
- Stage 1: This is a brief period, lasting less than 10 minutes. You are not fully asleep, and can be easily woken up. Consider this an introduction to or preparation for sleep.
- Stage 2: This is your power nap stage. Your brain activity is slowing down, yet you are still fairly in tune with what is going on around you. You could wake up after stage 2 sleep and feel fairly rested.
- Stage 3: This is true sleep. If you are roused from stage 3 sleep, you will be somewhat disoriented. Your brain activity has slowed down, and you are not really aware of your surroundings. Your body works to repair muscles and tissues, boost your immune system, and stimulate growth and development during stage 3 sleep. You will also start to build up and store energy to get through the next day.
- Stage 4: This is the stage known as REM sleep, and it starts about 90 minutes after you first fall asleep. Your body is hard at work during this stage, which you will enter and leave several times throughout a typical night. Dreams take place and information from the day is processed into long-term memories during REM sleep.
Notice that if you don’t sleep for an hour and half, you will not enter REM sleep. Your body will be deprived of the benefits of true, deep sleep. This is why quantity is as important as quality when it comes to sleep. Products containing THC-free CBD can help quiet your mind so that you are able to not only relax and fall asleep, but also stay asleep long enough to recharge for the next day.
Effects of Stress and Anxiety on SleepThere are many reasons cited for not getting enough sleep. Stress and anxiety are one of the most common reasons given for not being able to get quality sleep. THC-free CBD products can help alleviate these feelings and lead to better sleep quality. Stress and anxiety contribute to a vicious cycle of sleep deprivation by causing an increase in stress hormones. Here’s how the cycle works:
Stress and anxiety cause an inability to fall asleep. Your mind is working overtime going over to-do lists, mistakes, or pressures at home or work. This results in a lack of sleep, slower metabolic processes, and declines in decision making abilities.
Because your body didn’t fully recharge, it will produce higher levels of stress hormones to keep it functioning throughout the day. These will, in turn, increase levels of stress and make it even harder to fall asleep the following day.
CBD products made without THC compounds have been shown to decrease cortisol and other stress-related chemicals in the body. They can produce feelings of calm and help quite anxiety. This will allow you to fall asleep faster, ensuring a better night’s rest and less stress.
Make Sleep a Priority
Sleep prepares you for another busy day. It is your body’s chance to recharge its batteries, regulate hormone levels and reduce stress and food cravings. Plus, feelings of general wellbeing are produced and regulated during sleep.
With research showing that only sleep deficits occur in as few as four days without enough sleep. That can lead to decreased physical and mental performance. This means that sleep should become a priority when your schedule gets packed, instead of the first thing that gets cut out.
CBD products have been shown to combat some of the symptoms that contribute to a lack of sleep. Lower stress and anxiety levels, decreased pain symptoms, and increased performance of regular tasks can help you fall asleep faster and get better quality sleep.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. CBD products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or ailment. Symbio Wellness LLC assumes no responsibility for the improper use of these products. We recommend consulting with a qualified medical doctor or physician when preparing a treatment plan for any and all diseases or ailments. Symbio Wellness LLC does not make any health claims about our products and recommend consulting with a qualified medical doctor or physician prior to consuming our products or preparing a treatment plan. It is especially important for those who are pregnant, nursing, chronically ill, elderly or under the age of 18 to discuss the use of these products with a physician prior to consuming. You must be 18 years or older to visit this website and/or purchase Symbio Wellness LLC products. The information on our website is intended to provide general information regarding our products and is not to be construed as medical advice or instruction.